Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Great Catch – Valentines for Alex’s Class


I wanted to make valentines for Alex’s class and took to Pinterest to find inspiration. I found a few versions of this floating around, but tried to add my own touches. What I liked about this valentine was that it did not use candy, nor did it use pink and red (although I love pink and red).

I started by making a template of the fish bowl and water. Using a pale blue pencil, I traced 16 of these on cardstock (white for the fish bowl, blue for the water), and then cut them out. I adhered the water to the fish bowl.





Then, I created a template for the hearts (I wanted to add something more “valentiney” than what I saw on Pinterest)—I used an orange heart (also from cardstock) that matches the goldfish as my outer heart, and used a smaller white heart for the center. Again, I cut out 16 of each. I lined the white heart with a blue pencil and used an orange marker to write “You’re a great catch, valentine” on each one. I then adhered the white heart to the orange heart, added a hole in the upper left-hand corner and strung it with blue baker’s twine.

I inserted the completed and dried fish bowls to clear bags. As we get closer to Valentine’s Day, I will finish the project, by adding goldfish, tying with blue baker’s twine and finishing with the hearts.




These are incredibly time-intensive. Although I am happy with the finished result, they are not a quick and easy valentine.  I plan to bring these to Alex’s school along with pink cupcakes to celebrate with his class. 


My Pinterest image. 



No comments:

Post a Comment