Monday, March 17, 2014

Raspberry Filled Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting


Five days after Alex turned two, Andy turned 35. Unfortunately, I got a horrible head cold the day after Alex’s birthday party, so was feeling really sick on Andy’s birthday. But, I didn’t want him to feel totally slighted, so I rallied and made some cupcakes.

I used a yellow cake mix (one of Andy’s favorites) and filled them with raspberry (and some with strawberry rhubarb jam). I filled them with jam immediately after they came out of the oven. 




My goal was to recreate our wedding cake, but in cupcakes. So, I used the same buttercream recipe I used for Alex’s cupcakes, but instead of milk, I used lemon juice. I then piped the frosting onto his cupcakes. 


INGREDIENTS
1 cup of unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream
3 to 4 cups of confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
¼ teaspoon of table salt
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Up to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (depending upon consistency)

DIRECTIONS
1.       Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
2.       Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and beat for 3 minutes.


Andy said they were delicious. They were so easy to make—probably the only thing I was capable of doing.  As I write this, I am still suffering from a head cold (eights days in), and have promised him that, once better, I will make it up to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment