Monday, March 24, 2014

Train Cookies



Alex adores trains. So, for Alex’s school birthday celebration, I decided to make train cookies for the kids (and car cookies for the teachers). I used my basicsugar cookie recipe. As Alex’s school is a nut free zone, I couldn’t use my standard almond icing; therefore, I found a recipe from a blogger (recipe below).

I used four different kinds of colors: light red (not as dark as I had hoped it would be), blue, yellow and black. The icing was great and very easy to pipe onto the cookies.



Royal Icing


INGREDIENTS
3 egg whites
4 cups of powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS
1.       In a Kitchen Aid fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until almost frothy. 
2.       Add in the powdered sugar and whisk on slow until smooth (you may need to add more or less powdered sugar or water to achieve desired thickness).


NOTE:  For sugar cookies, you want the icing to be thin enough that it will fall back on itself and smooth itself out, but not too thin so it will run off of the cookie.




Alex showing off his cookie—I couldn’t actually be there for the school celebration, 
but his teacher sent me this photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment