Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter: Bunny Cake and Nest Cupcakes



By the time you are reading this, Alex and I will be at the White House for the annual Easter egg roll. We have a busy Easter weekend planned, as we will be spending the first part with Andy’s family in Massachusetts and New Hampshire and the second part with my family (Alex and I will anyway) in DC. 

BUNNY CAKE


I made a few desserts for the celebration with Andy’s family: a bunny cake and some nest cupcakes. I completely copied a blogger I follow for the bunny cake (see original cake here).  I did use a different cake batter, however—I used a basic vanilla recipe, but added about 10 finely chopped strawberries, a touch of lemon juice and the zest of a lemon to give the batter a more spring-like taste. 


Strawberry-Lemon Cake


INGREDIENTS
3 cups of all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
1 ½  cups of sugar (I usually add just a touch more than this)
12 tablespoons of unsalted butter (I warmed in the microwave until just soft, not melted)
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
¾ cup of whole milk
10 finely diced strawberries
Juice of one lemon
Zest of one lemon

DIRECTIONS
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.       Combine all of the ingredients above and mix together (note: the recipe in my book is slightly different than what I do, as I put everything into my KitchenAid mixer and mix on slow, then medium, then high speed—mix until no flour traces remain).
3.       Once mixed, pour half the batter in a greased cake pan.
4.       With the other half of the better, divide evenly among 12 muffin cups (or a greased muffin pan); fill each about three-fourths full.
5.       For the cake pan, bake for 35-40 minutes; for the cupcakes, bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

As directed in the original post, I covered a piece of cardboard with parchment paper to put the bunny on. Tape did not hold for me, however, so I stapled it. 

 Cream Cheese Frosting


INGREDIENTS
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 block of cream cheese, softened
1 pound of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup of milk

DIRECTIONS:
1.       Cream together butter and cream cheese. 
2.       Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.  Stir together until creamy (do not whip). 


Once cooled completely, cut the cake in half, frost one side and add the other half on top (note: I frosted the flat side of the cake, so that the bunny would be a bit more round). I also put a smear of frosting on the cardboard/parchment base. 



Cut a small part of the cake out for the head and ears; use this piece for a portion of the tail.  


Frost the entire cake liberally. 



Once frosted, I added a small pink nose (using cardstock) and then added coconut to the top of the frosting. This part can get a little messy. 


For the ears, I used white and light pink cardstock (the same cardstock I used for the bunny’s nose). I cut out a larger shape for the ear and then cut out a smaller, internal pink portion; I adhered the pink portion to the white portion and stuck into the cake. 



I then set the bunny on my serving tray and added Spanish moss around it. 



NEST CUPCAKES



For the cupcakes, I used the same batter and frosting mix as detailed above. I used the white frosting as the base and then dyed the remaining frosting a brown (a sort of peanut butter color). I piped this in a circle on the top of the cupcake and added two Cadbury mini eggs (in white) to the tops. 




No comments:

Post a Comment